2006-05-02

I'm not the nicest guy - so what

I play in an online game. (Keyword = Game). In that game I have successfully upset several folk by being myself.

Not a difficult thing for me to do.

One calls me a hypocrite because I'm against PK (Player Killing - when two or more characters controlled by humans attempt kill each other) in general as a way of life. However, at the same time, there is an individual who stole from my better half, and I would like to have some vengence. What's the difference you ask? Simple - I'm not after wholesale murder (they call it war), I'm looking for justice on someone who had a chance to recant their ways and return what was stolen.

Another says that the faith I have in one of my allies is misplaced, and proceeds to be openly hostile about said ally without their presence to defend. I asked them not to speak such in my channel about my companions. They tried to offer evidence, but the evidence is in a text file on their computer. Show of hands - how many people know how to open up a text editor (Windows users think Notepad). Either way, it was my ally who recommended this individual to our coterie. Who did I ask to leave? My ally who has spoken well of this individual, and has come to my aid frequently, or this individual who up until that point had been welcomed with open arms?

You guessed it, the one who slandered was gone. I don't care if everything they said about my ally was true or not. My ally has not given me cause to regret knowing them, and has never spoken ill of a person who was not present to defend their actions. Was I political in how I handled it, no. I reread my logs, I was coming across angrier than I had intended, but had it happened to anyone else in my fellowship, I would have been just as angry. I should have been more calm, and I wasn't - but that does not mean that the other person was in the right. I asked them to leave, they haven't spoken to me but once since.

This is psycho-drama. It's emotional, but only because I have emotions. Do I care about those situations above? In a limited sense, now that I've properly vented.

1) I still see (in game) the concept of killing other players characters to be disturbing as a goal unto itself.
2) Calling for justice on one individual who had a chance to repent and be forgiven is not the same as killing other player characters for sport.
3) I will be much more selective in the future towards who I invite into my circle.
4) When I ask a person to leave it will be in a solid command and not a debate. "*name* you are no longer welcome. Please leave now."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pking is fun as long as there is a challenge in it. hi dragon. i am a pker sometimes when i get too little a chalenge from the game. then you must test your skills against others to seee who is better.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home